The purpose of the Greene Dreher Sterling Community Fair Association’s scholarship program is to provide an incentive to future generations to actively participate in community volunteer activities including, but not limited to, our Fair Association.
Therefore, in order to provide financial assistance to deserving students pursuing higher education, the Greene Dreher Sterling Fair will be awarding an annual scholarship (given directly to the selected applicant).
“Financial need” status will NOT be a requirement of the scholarship, since many students are not classified as such; but are worthy of financial assistance for their accomplishments. Recipients must sign an agreement which states they will complete at least one semester of schooling or return the full scholarship award.
Judges will receive instruction on relevant criteria and scoring methods to be used. An interview will be held at a date to be determined (usually the first weekend in May). Judges’ decisions will be final. Recipients will be required to attend their high school’s annual awards program to accept the scholarship check.
Mail completed application to:
P.O. Box 46
Newfoundland, PA 18445.
Application must be post marked no earlier than March 1st and no later than August 20th.
For more information, contact (570) 676-4047 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student must be a graduating high school senior who is enrolled in either an Associate or Bachelor Degree level program, or a post-secondary trade or technical school. Students must be starting their courses in the summer or fall semester of the current year.
- Applicants must have contributed to community service locally or in school.
- Applicants must meet at least ONE of the following requirements:
- Be a member of the G.D.S. Fair
- Be a child or grandchild of a member of the G.D.S Fair
- Have contributed significantly to the preparation and/or conduct of the Fair in the past 3 years
- Be a Graduating Senior in any of the following school districts: Western Wayne, Wayne Highlands, Forest City, North Pocono and Wallenpaupack.
Please include the requested information below when submitting your Application.
Your typed responses and Essay should be attached to the Application.
- List awards, honors and achievements you have received in the past three years.
- List extra-curricular activities you have participated in. (ex. Clubs, teams, musical groups, etc, and any leadership positions)
- List community activities you participate in and the extent of your involvement. (ex. Church groups, scouting, volunteer groups, community art endeavors, or any community service other than school sponsored activities)
- What has been your contribution to the preparation or conduct of the GDS Fair in the past? List fair year and work or task performed. If participation was as an Exhibitor, please list the year and department entered.
- Write a short paragraph on “What the GDS Fair means to me”
- Write a 200 – 1,000 word essay about your plans for the future and why you chose your particular field of study. (This essay will be an important part of the judging criteria)